What Documents do I need to buy real estate on Samos?
Depending on your country of origin you will need these documents:
- Valid passport
- A document proving your place of residence (i.e. ID card)
- Greek Tax number.
Obtaining a Greek tax number is not difficult. You will have to produce a copy of your last tax declaration or a bank statement to prove the source of income. The involved amounts to not have to correlate with the property price.
- Document confirming the occupation of the buyer
- If you are a non EU resident you may need a valid Visa
Which are the costs involved?
It is difficult to say exactly how high the expenses are that are connected with the purchase of real estate on Samos.
In general the costs consist of
- 1.5% lawyer fee of the price stated in the contract
- Approximately 1.5% notary fee of the price stated in the contract
- Tax on the title of ownership (one time payment) is either 3% of (house constructed prior to 2006) or 24% (house constructed after 2006). Both figures relate to the “cadastre price” i.e. the value of the property in the cadastre records
All above mentioned prices are subject to 17% VAT
Is there a recurring tax on my property?
Since 2011, there is an annual property tax in Greece.
The rate is depending on the size of the property (metrics) and the location. On Samos generally this tax is much lower than f.e. in Athens or on Mykonos.
We will be able to provide you with an estimation based on your concrete situation.
Is my property safe on Samos?
Greece is one of the safest countries in Europe, and Samos again is one of the safest places in Greece.
There is hardly any serious crime on the island, and in general you will feel absolutely safe and secure here.
Do I need a permission to buy real estate on Samos?
For EU citizens there is no need of obtaining a permission.
Non EU citizens will need a permission due to Samos’ position on the EU border.